Thursday, November 12, 2009

All I Need is Love


Yesterday I was at the library and came across a collection of stories by Shirley Hughes. I think I enjoy her books more than my children do. She manages to capture the realities of family life so well. I like that the houses she draws look like my house. There are clothes spilling out of drawers, toys on every surface, books left lying out, and food stuck to the floor under the table. And the mother she draws looks so frumpy in her big sweater or gritty bathrobe, wearing non-trendy glasses and sporting a haircut she can't maintain. I love it! I can relate! It is comforting to see my reality in art. But where Shirley Hughes tops all illustrators - in my opinion - is in her ability to paint love. Her scenes of family life are messy and frazzled but full of the warmth that fills a home where people are really trying to love each other - day in, day out, admist dinners and dishes and diapers.
This month I'm trying to be conscious of all the little opportunities my kids give me to grow more loving. I'm really trying to nurture this fruit of the Spirit inside of myself.
I've noticed that - for my kids - to be loving is to be present. They seem to want to simply be with me more than they want a clean house, an enriching schedule or new toys. They want to play, they want to cuddle on the couch, they want to run around the playground - and they want to do this with me. I have to admit that I need a relatively clean house in order to function and I think it's important to get out and about and learn new things, and I do need to fit in time for my job, but I'm trying to redefine what I consider to be "essential" tasks in order to free up more time to simply be present and loving with my children.
So the sticky black marks on my kitchen floor are going to have to stay there for a while and I won't get around to framing those photos I have been meaning to frame for twelve months and the summer clothes I brought up to the loft in September won't find their way into the storage cupboard anytime soon. Instead I'll be channeling Shirley Hughes and the Spirit on the playroom floor with the kids, stuff strewn everywhere, but full of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment