There is one spiritual fruit I just can't seem to grow: self-control. I can't get one bloom out of this virtue. Lord knows I've been given enough opportunities to cultivate it. Every day family life hands me multiple opportunities to stay calm in the face of aggravation, to breath deeply through insult, to laugh instead of getting all in a huff. I'm handed the seed, so to speak, but I toss it and stomp on it before it ever sees soil.
One of the places I'd like to have more self-control is during the daily piano practice. There is one child whom I have to sit with to keep on task. At the beginning of every practice session I'm fairly bright and cheery, mainly because we've managed to make it to the "piano practice" portion of the day, which I think an accomplishment in and of itself. By the end of the session it's all I can do not to rip the books off the stand and smash the keyboard. I get so frustrated with this child. This little one swats my hands when I'm trying to point out a missed note, or yells, "I get it, I get it, I GET IT!" before playing the same wrong notes. If I leave the practicing in the child's hands it won't happen. What to do? I'm not sure.
I guess like anything in life, when it comes to spiritual growth, it's practice makes perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment